Skip to main content

Parshat Va'era -- Living Through the Chain Reaction

Greta Hort notes that one thing that stands out about the Egyptian plagues is their relationship to natural phenomena that occur in Egypt’s ecosystem. 


And Professor Ziony Zevit tells us that using this theory the first six plagues can even be explained in their sequential order. The naturalistic account is connected initially with the violent rainstorms that occur in the mountains of Ethiopia, to the south of Egypt.


1. The first plague, referred to as dam, blood, was caused when red clay swept down into the Nile from the Ethiopian highlands coloring the river and rendering its water undrinkable.

2. The mud affected the aeration of the water that lead to the death of fish. Bodies of dead fish clogged the swamps inhabited by frogs. The rotting fish crowded the frogs out from the swamps. They left the Nile and sought cool areas in people's houses: the second plague. But, the movement of frogs occurred only after they had become infected by some communicable disease.

3-4. Since the frogs were already infected with the disease, they died in their new habitats. As a consequence, lice, the third plague, and flies, the fourth plague, began to multiply, feeding off the dead frogs.

5. This gave rise to a pestilence that attacked animals, the fifth plague, because the cattle were feeding on grass that by then had also become infected.

6. In people, the symptom of the same disease was boils, the sixth plague.


This read is powerful. It talks about the cumulative chain reaction that happens from a single event -- in this scenario, it is violent rainstorms. 


And boy do we have our own violent rainstorms, literal and metaphorical. Just this past summer, in addition to the wild fires, we witnessed a fire tornado in California! Not to mention the severe thunderstorms, large hail and drought throughout the country, all of which is culminating in the largest migration happening in our time, which is climate migration


And not to be outdone, the metaphorical violent rainstorm of racial capitalism and white supremacy is wreaking havoc as almost 400,000 people have died due to covid-19 here in the US and Black and Brown bodies continue to take the brunt of the economic, political and injustice system that is working just as it was designed. All the while, mobs of angry white folks are storming the state and federal capitals, eerily reminiscent of the race riots that occured in this country before and after the flu epidemic of 1918.


We are witnessing in real-time the cumulative effect of this chain reaction. And even though we don't hear the voices of the Egyptians in this portion, I can imagine they felt like we feel right now, caught in the middle, hopeless, fearful of what might come next since it's clear that things are escalating. Or maybe we're feeling like Moshe who keeps telling G-d: I just don't think I'm the right person to do this particular work of liberation. 


But listen to what G-d tells Moshe in chapter 7 verses 1 and 2: See I have put you as a gd for Pharaoh and Aaron your brother will be your prophet, you will speak all that I will command you and Aaron your brother will speak to pharaoh and he will send forth the children of Israel from this land. 


G-d says I'm going to match your power with that of Pharaoh and you will have help along the way with your brother Aaron. And I implore us, matter of fact I bless us with the courage to lean into the power of our spiritual, our G-d like nature, collectively working towards the liberation of our people in this land and in solidarity with those who are working towards liberation around the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathing in Pesach

(Illustration by Sarah Quinter) Tomorrow, when Pesach begins, we will tell the exodus story. To be sure, there are many reasons we engage in this ritual. It is one that is rich with drama, curiosity, family interaction and revelry. It is also fraught with myths about how it got started and the many traditions that have  developed over the years. However, we are commanded to take our time, lean back in our chairs, eat and drink heartily, yet, there is so much pain, sadness and death all around us. It seems increasingly harder each year to step away from what is happening and breathe a little. But that is what we are supposed to do --- breathe. Breathe. BREATHE. Breathe into the notion that there is freedom on the other side of this reality we are living in right now. Breathe knowing that as we move away from oppression, towards liberation, we leave as an erev rav, leaving no one behind. Breathe knowing liberation is our default, our birthright. Full Stop. We lean i

28 days --- 56 ways to be Young, Gifted and Black: Mimi Borders

How do you spend your days? I love days that give me room to breathe and reflect. Typically, I am really busy with school work, research and extra-curricular activities. But this semester I am studying at the University of Ghana and I have more flexibility and control over my time. I do mindfulness meditations in the morning, yoga, write and daydream. Daydreaming is one of my favorite things to do - and it doesn't always have to be a solitary activity. I love dreaming out loud with my friends talking about how we want (WILL) to change the world, the places we will travel, the books we will write, how we will liberate ourselves and our communities. I drink a lot of water during the day and usually get sad at some point thinking about what is currently happening in the USA but I try and write myself out of the dark cloud.  What brings you joy?  My family is profoundly incredible. My parents are compassionate, emotionally intelligent people that always have uplifted an

Beating the Drum of Our Heart

A few years back, I was talking with someone I just met and they insisted on talking about someone we both knew in a manner that seemed to be equally disrespectful and gossipy. I mentioned to them that I was actually uncomfortable with where the conversation was going and their response was, "it's okay, we only have a few more days until we say the Al Chet, while symbolically beating their chest. Despite my urge to yell, "THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!, " I reiterated how and why it was uncomfortable for me to stay in the conversation and I walked away.    This interaction has troubled me ever since, especially since I think that the Al Chet is one of the most powerful parts of the Yom Kippur service. I was unnerved with how easily this person was able to disregard what they were saying because in their mind, they will "make up for it" saying a few words during service. I believe this liturgy we have inherited from our ancestors is such a blessing, givi