Skip to main content

courage to listen



Tomorrow marks 6 months since I had life affirming surgery and I have been thinking about just how much my life is different today.

Courage is an attribute I have struggled with all my life. Living in a world that didn't function like I did and certainly didn't treat me like I deserve to be here has been difficult to say the least. And while the world is still killing folks on the daily who share one or more of my identities, I have built up the courage to listen to the voice inside (the divine, G-d?) that has always been there, encouraging me to be authentically me.

This voice led me to bring out ALL of the first aid supplies my parents had in the medicine cabinet to the neighborhood kids in Kansas City, MO to help mend scrapped knees and bruised arms. It comforted me when I cried my eyes out when the rejection letter came from UMKC's 6 year medical program and guided me as I left home and moved to Saint Louis, MO and my Jewish soul came home while I studied at SLU. It whispered words of encouragement as I moved to Mount Pleasant, MI to start the Au.D. program....as their 2nd Black student while working overnights at K-Mart. It kept the conversation going every time I wanted to exit this earth as I began what seems like a never ending process of coming out, all the while married to a wonderful human who endured living with a confused and unsure spouse. It propelled me to grab my drum and head to Ferguson. It's currently pushing me to increase my Jewish literacy and pursue full time spiritual leadership.

This new found courage allows me to listen to this voice differently. In fact, I now know this is the SAME voice that has been telling me that I AM OKAY all along, that despite all of the systems and people that have been sending subtle and sometimes not so subtle signals that I don't belong here, I deserve to be here like everyone else. I don't have to explain or justify my existence --- and I won't.

Revolutionary listening has transformed my life in so many ways. Listening without interruption, judgement or correction has given me space to learn and heal with others. Having the courage to listen to this voice within is liberating me.

I am incredibly grateful to everyone who has supported me ---- including Mommas Anna and Harriet, Langston, ALL of my Rabbis, my QTPOC fam, my parentals in Florida and my protest fam
. The love and support I get from the community that has surrounded me keeps me here. Thank you.

It is indeed my duty to know I am free.

I'm getting there.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathing in Pesach

(Illustration by Sarah Quinter) Tomorrow, when Pesach begins, we will tell the exodus story. To be sure, there are many reasons we engage in this ritual. It is one that is rich with drama, curiosity, family interaction and revelry. It is also fraught with myths about how it got started and the many traditions that have  developed over the years. However, we are commanded to take our time, lean back in our chairs, eat and drink heartily, yet, there is so much pain, sadness and death all around us. It seems increasingly harder each year to step away from what is happening and breathe a little. But that is what we are supposed to do --- breathe. Breathe. BREATHE. Breathe into the notion that there is freedom on the other side of this reality we are living in right now. Breathe knowing that as we move away from oppression, towards liberation, we leave as an erev rav, leaving no one behind. Breathe knowing liberation is our default, our birthright. Full Stop. We lean i

28 days --- 56 ways to be Young, Gifted and Black: Mimi Borders

How do you spend your days? I love days that give me room to breathe and reflect. Typically, I am really busy with school work, research and extra-curricular activities. But this semester I am studying at the University of Ghana and I have more flexibility and control over my time. I do mindfulness meditations in the morning, yoga, write and daydream. Daydreaming is one of my favorite things to do - and it doesn't always have to be a solitary activity. I love dreaming out loud with my friends talking about how we want (WILL) to change the world, the places we will travel, the books we will write, how we will liberate ourselves and our communities. I drink a lot of water during the day and usually get sad at some point thinking about what is currently happening in the USA but I try and write myself out of the dark cloud.  What brings you joy?  My family is profoundly incredible. My parents are compassionate, emotionally intelligent people that always have uplifted an

Beating the Drum of Our Heart

A few years back, I was talking with someone I just met and they insisted on talking about someone we both knew in a manner that seemed to be equally disrespectful and gossipy. I mentioned to them that I was actually uncomfortable with where the conversation was going and their response was, "it's okay, we only have a few more days until we say the Al Chet, while symbolically beating their chest. Despite my urge to yell, "THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!, " I reiterated how and why it was uncomfortable for me to stay in the conversation and I walked away.    This interaction has troubled me ever since, especially since I think that the Al Chet is one of the most powerful parts of the Yom Kippur service. I was unnerved with how easily this person was able to disregard what they were saying because in their mind, they will "make up for it" saying a few words during service. I believe this liturgy we have inherited from our ancestors is such a blessing, givi